Saturday, April 19, 2008

Easter break blast!

7 Countries, 14 Cities, 33 days Mr Goh ,you are the winner of the amazing race Easter 2008! So what makes you think you deserve this award???Simply becos the only thing I have lost this trip was my washing powder!! Thank God for His grace that nothing important was lost, after the lost of the wallet in Bangkok...

so whats the favourite city? My friends call me a 'francophile', who loves everything french. I admit I am biased but I really love Paris! albeit it being too touristy in the end. My french served me well, and met up with a good friend of mine, chilling in the Quick restaurant, reminiscing the old times, it just completes the picture. A disclaimer: my pictures sure wont do justice to the city, neither my descriptions, but better than nothing la...


My first look at the Eiffel tower on top of Sacre Coeur. Was tres excited! The world's most visited monument, more than 10 million visitors a year (Thats more than the whole of singapore for info). More than just a satellite/radio transmission tower initially built for, the tower has evolved to become the symbol of Paris, the image that appears in everyone's mind when you mention the city.


In the heart of Montmartre area where I stayed, great artists such as Picasso and Van Gorh lived here. It dawned on me that i have the artistic genes, despite asking my fren to draw for me my still life during sec 2 and everyone crowding around me during art exam to help me finish my art piece... Ok that was all nonsense or bullshit! But I have to admit my appreciation of the arts have increased multi-fold and at least now i know the difference between crayons and colour pencils (I mean renaissance Vs Impressionists)



Moulin Rouge! translated to "red mill' in english. High class brothel back in the 1900s. Now that it has become the site for cabaret shows. The guide said that it was worth every euro, just that it cost 89 Euros including one drink. The pockets were not feeling that full then so I gave it a miss. :(


Aux Champ elysees, aux champ elysees! the orchard road of Paris with the Arc of Triumph at the junction. Marking Napolean's victory during his reign. Its GIG-normous contrasted to the size of the person its built for. Pretty impressive, well i guess I read so much of it during my french classes, just this sense of awe standing in front of it.

LV and prada bags going at 20 percent discount! OK, seriously I am not kidding! Being a tourist, i do get a 19.6 percent tax rebates on these luxury goods. Send me the dough if you want some bags cos I be going back to paris with the girlfriend in summer...


heh, the luxuries of life, desserts and coffee! The chocolate tart was the best thing i have had in a while! truly lives up to my expectations. So where are the profitteroles and macarons? Sadly, I dint have the chance to try them due to time constraints but I promise I be back.

Lots of pple say the city is overhyped, i do agree to a certain extent. Le Chateau de Versailles and la tour de Eiffel were a bit of a disappointment. Hordes of tourists flooding to these sites that totally spoil the experience. I wonder what will happen when summer comes. BUT the air in Paris is different. THe quintessential French experience. The HAute culture, the cafes along the sidewalks, the language, simply melts together in this single place. PARIS, je t'aime!

No comments: